As the new year pushes on, warmer weather means more people will be beginning spring and summer kitchen remodeling jobs, hoping to increase the value of their property, and increase functionality for themselves.
But when it comes to kitchen remodeling, you can take either of two paths: very expensive or penny pincher.
So while many people don't have the funds to take on a full job, tearing down and building up, many do have the money to take on the job without going bankrupt. Don't believe us? Here are 5 ways you can save money on your kitchen remodel.
1. Counters don't have to be granite. That is, they can still be solid, while maintaining charm and use, and not be expensive. Solid surface veneer (SSV) is a great way to get that solid look and feel without sacrificing your entire budget.
2. Install granite tiles instead. Or other solid surface tiles. Slabs cost about $75 per square foot, whereas tiles only run $20 per square foot. Plus, after install, no one will be able to tell the difference.
3. No reconfiguring necessary. Save tons of money by leaving your kitchen in its current configuration. Then you won't have to pay a plumber, an electrician, and so on, and you can simply replace old appliances with new ones. Generally, half of a homeowner's budget is tied up in reconfiguration.
4. Do the shopping on your own. There's no harm in hiring a designer and a contractor to do the work your can't, but sometimes that means letting them do the shopping, which can kill your budget. So to save money, take matters into your own hands and buy all the materials yourself. You'll save 15 to 20% doing it yourself.
5. Closeout appliances abide. You can have all of that special newness in a brand new appliance without a second mortgage. Simply buy closeout models. What's a closeout model? Usually, it's a discontinued version of a newer model. There is rarely nothing wrong with them, except they didn't sell well. They usually carry a regular warranty too. Ask around, you'll find considerable savings using this method.
Interested in remodeling your kitchen? Please contact us for more information.
The typical garage over-build creates a bonus room that offers a wide variety of added functions to your home. Whether you are thinking of adding a game room for the teens, a mother-in-law suite that allows you to welcome an elderly parent into your home while preserving their independence, or the opportunity to finally have that home theater setting complete with theater seating and sound, the right architectural design makes all the difference.
- Customization. Do not make do with a second-hand design plan that may or may not bring the functionality to your home that you crave. Rather, work with an expert in the field who us adept at designing custom homes, home additions or garage over-builds. Working with this type of professional allows you to tailor the amenities and setup of the space to cater to your vision of its future use.
- Integration. Although it may not sound like as big a deal as a full home-remodeling contract, remember that the addition of a second story above your garage not only adds much-needed space but also makes a dramatic alteration to your home’s appearance, the flow of its roof line and the proportions of your structure with respect to the landscaping. This is where the right architectural design will include the small touches that integrate the new living space into the look and feel of the existing home. Examples include a floor alignment to an already existing second story or the seamless integration of the new space to the current structure, which involves movement of bricks, siding, shingles and other design elements.
- Modernization. It is tricky to add a new space that feels modern against an older structure. That said, architectural design specialists have the power to affect a flow from a garage over-build into a farmer’s kitchen or other portion of the structure without creating a sudden transition.
The experts at Natelli Homes are well versed in the art and science that is architectural design. Rely on our professionals to sketch out the most functional, visually attractive and versatile living space that fits perfectly above your current garage setup. Contact us today for more information on garage build-overs, kitchen or bathroom remodeling as well as the design of custom homes.
When it comes to renovating homes, the kitchen is one of the most popular places to remodel. For instance, while refreshing a living room can be done with a new paint job and lighting fixtures, a kitchen can suffer from outdated appliances, along with worn and torn sinks, countertops, and floors.
It is easy to put thousands of dollars into kitchen remodeling, but you should follow some helpful tips to make sure you have a positive outcome and use your money wisely.
Maximize Storage with Ceiling High Cabinets
To maximize the space in your kitchen, you should consider ceiling high cabinets. It is one area of the kitchen that has very little use if not for storing items within cabinets. It is great when you have plenty of storage space to keep your appliances, dinnerware, coffee mugs, and more.
Also, if you do not have a pantry, you will find the extra cabinet space even more helpful for allowing you to store enough food for weeks or months without having the kitchen be a mess.
Larger Does Not Always Mean Better
If you have a small kitchen, you should not feel the need to break down walls or cut into your living or dining space to increase the size of the kitchen. When remodeling your kitchen, focusing on quality and functionality should give you exactly what you need in a small space.
Also, by taking full advantage of available space with ceiling high cabinets, you will enjoy a kitchen that provides you with as much storage space as the room can reasonably fit.
Keep It Simple and Have Open Space
While storage space is certainly nice, there is no need to sacrifice a beautiful kitchen to get more storage. It is possible to go overboard with how many cabinets you have installed, and you can also take up more floor space than necessary by getting massive appliances and installing an oversized island.
Focusing on function and simplicity will give you a beautiful kitchen that flows seamlessly.
Contact us today to start discussing your options for kitchen remodeling.
Planning for an addition to your home may be as a result of needing more space for a new baby, your senior parent moving in, or to make some extra money by renting out. Whatever the reason may be for home additions, it’s crucial that you look into how to keep your home energy-efficient and increase property value at the same time. The following features are all great examples of features that will keep the home addition as energy-efficient as possible.
Older windows can be the source of a heating and cooling loss throughout the year, resulting in disappointment with your energy usage. Luckily, newer dual-pane windows solve this problem entirely. By opting for these types of windows with the home addition, you can ensure that no air is being loss through the windows.
Modern Heating and Cooling
Keeping your home comfortable throughout the year is as easy as ensuring that the addition to your home has a quality heating and cooling system hooked up.
Upgraded Plumbing Fixtures
If the new addition is going to have a kitchen or bathroom space, it’s important that it has plumbing fixtures which have modern water usage features included.
Solar Panels for Extra Savings
To reduce the amount of energy that heating your home costs, you can get solar panels installed on the roof. This will help provide extra heating to your home without the need of reworking any of the existing roofing.
For more ideas on making your new home addition energy-efficient, contact us.
Although it is easy to spend thousands of dollars on a bathroom renovation when you upgrade the toilet, replace the bathtub, add radiant heat flooring, and invest in a fancy shower head, none of these projects are required to take the bathrooms in your rental property and improve them significantly.
It is possible to do affordable bathroom remodeling, you just need to be creative.
Curved Shower Rod
Instead of going with the traditional shower rod, a curved one will not only look fresh to potential tenants because most homes they see will either have a standard rod or curtain, but curved looks amazing.
It is a small purchase and simple installation that makes any bathroom look a lot more sophisticated, which is an incredible outcome to get without spending much at all.
Vanity lighting is crucial for bathrooms because this is where people often get ready in the morning. Ideally, fixtures on each side of the bathroom mirror will provide good lighting for morning prep, but a solid alternative is above the mirror if there is not enough space to fit lights on both sides.
Surrounding the entire bathroom with fancy tile can really enhance the space, but this is an expensive and time-consuming project that is simply not worth the trouble for a rental property. However, you should invest in accent tiles, which are more than satisfactory when it comes to improving bathroom looks.
Not spending an excessive amount of money is the key to clever remodeling, even when you do get to write the expenses off on your taxes because you are making upgrades to a rental property.
In this case, spending a decent sum on nice fixtures is worthwhile, and this is because you do not need to purchase too many fixtures to fill out all of the bathrooms in your rental home.
Contact us for help with making these bathroom upgrades or other ones.
Before you meet with a home remodeling company to get work started to update and improve the look of your Maryland or Virginia home, sit down to hammer out a budget and priority list. According to an article by Houzz, a major home project often feels overwhelming. Taking a DIY approach causes a lot of marital friction, according to experts. Much of the stress associated with hiring a professional is simply not knowing where to begin or what you really want. Experts suggest examining your home and whether it still functions the way your family needs it to function.
- Getting the money together
Some people take out a home equity line of credit (HELOC) to pay for home remodeling projects. A HELOC can work well if you aren’t sure how much money you want or need to spend on improving your home. You can start with a kitchen remodeling project, tapping your HELOC as needed. Other people rather pay cash and stick to a definite budget. Your builder can inform on the costs of different projects based on the type of finishes, cabinetry, countertops and design choices.
- Walking through your own home
In order to define your home remodeling priorities, you need to get a detached perspective on your home. Walk through your home with a notebook and pen as if you are a stranger looking at it for the first time. Some people as a Realtor to walk through and recommend which areas need the most improvement for resale value. Pay attention to how you feel when you are in each room of the home. Do you feel claustrophobic? Is there enough light coming in? Identify the problems so you can hear suggestions from a builder about how to remedy the situation.
- Making a master plan
Having a master plan makes it easier for yourself and the builder. Your master plan can include details about how you plan to finance or pay for the remodeling work. Have a list of priorities in case you can’t afford every item on your home remodeling wish list. Make sure you discuss your master plan with our spouse or other decision-makers in the home. Collect samples of flooring, paint colors, fabric, cabinetry and countertops to keep with your written plan. You can always change out colors and finishes, but make those decisions before your builder starts the ordering process.
At Natelli Homes, we work with clients in Maryland and Virginia who want to improve their quality of life with cost-effective home improvements with a high-end look. For more information on our architectural, remodeling and renovation services, please contact us.
While the kitchen and bathrooms receive a lot of attention in Maryland or Virginia custom homes, the master bedroom is also trending as one of the most beloved rooms in a home. Whether you are renovating or in the process of building a custom home, it’s important to consider the look and feel of your master bedroom. Many homeowners today see the need for dual master bedrooms, especially with so many long-term guests. According to an article by Freshome, the bedroom is often a private space that is custom designed for your taste. Of course, with a guest master bedroom, you can decorate and design it with a more universal appeal in mind. Freshome points out that a bedroom is a private sanctuary. Your builder can incorporate recessed ceilings, bay or bow windows and other architectural features. Ask your builder about ideas such as an adjoining sitting area, extra-large walk-in closet with organizers and the doorway between the bedroom and master bathroom.
- Choosing a color palette
One of the decisions for you to make when envisioning a bathroom remodel or a new home is the color palette of your master bedroom. Experts say some of the most popular colors in the past year included gray, soft blacks and whites.
- Taking a cue from a hotel
Another thing that’s trending with master bedrooms is the glitz and glamour of a hotel. In essence, it’s all about elegance, extravagance and spaciousness. You can ask your builder about having a wall of windows or sliding glass doors that overlook your backyard, but also include hotel-style drapes that you can close for total privacy.
- Using natural materials
Whether it’s the bedroom or the kitchen, more people are using eco-friendly and natural materials. For flooring, consider bamboo floors. One idea is to use a brick accent wall where the headboard would go. Natural materials and natural tones create a restful area. Also trending is the rustic look, especially for people with Maryland or Virginia country homes or homes with an Adirondack influence.
At Natelli Homes, we take pride in building beautiful custom homes such as the four-square home, cottage design and modern split-levels. We can also renovate your home to include a second master bedroom to accommodating aging parents or young adult children. For more information on our custom homes and architectural services, please contact us.
The experts at Natelli Homes frequently field calls from homeowners who want to know about our quality control, scheduling and efficiency protocols when working on home additions. But recently, we have begun getting calls from consumers who are wondering if they should consider this type of construction project to begin with – or if they might be better served by a simple remodel. Finally, we compiled the three most common reasons why home owners are favoring an addition over a remodel.
- Return on investment. You know that adding on a new master suite increases the value of your home. By freeing up another bedroom in your home for a different use, this property is now much more likely to be appealing to a potential future buyer. When this consumer looks for space to build a home office or needs a certain number of bedrooms for the children in the family, your home with its added space might be just the right property. But be careful! Some additions, U.S. News & World Report warns that the average sun room add-on is only worthwhile when it has year-round function, may not recoup your expenses as well as others.
- Increase in usable space. Larger homes always fetch more money in the housing market than those with a large backyard but a very limited square footage count inside the house. Building up or building out creates more usable space that suits your family today and attracts a good selling price at some point in the future.
- Meeting today’s and tomorrow’s needs. If you have a growing family, consider your current and future needs. When you like the neighborhood and the schools, you are not very likely to pack up and move. With a commitment to stay in the home, it is a good idea to modify it to meet your current and future needs. For example, a new addition to the family calls for more room. Anticipating that your other children will turn into teens in a few years, begin now to think of their room needs. When you know that you will welcome an elderly parent into your home within the next few years, consider now what type of home additions would best suit your needs when this day finally does come.
Once you decide that a home addition is indeed the right decision for your family, contact us for more information. We discuss curb appeal, design elements that are germane to your property’s appearance and also the look of your neighborhood. Staying within the constraints of your area’s overall look and feel is an important aspect when building an addition that fits right onto your property parcel.
A kitchen makeover can make your Maryland or Virginia home more valuable to your family, guests and potential buyers in the future. By going with a more timeless kitchen remodeling project, you will save money. According to a recent article by The Coloradoan, kitchens today need to accommodate the renewed interest in cooking. It may sound strange, but kitchens in the past decade served more as a design feature or artistic statement because some homeowners didn’t cook. Now with the renewed interest in cooking and baking from scratch, people need a kitchen that’s functional as well as attractive. Experts say kitchens in 2015 emphasize low-maintenance as well as functionality. To meet your kitchen remodeling goals, consider hiring an experienced builder who provides remodeling services. The kitchen remains one of the most important areas of the home for people who cook as well as people who just like to use their granite countertops as a place to lay the pizza box.
Choosing smart appliances
One trend this year is to choose smudge-proof appliances. Many stainless steel appliances are difficult to maintain, but you can still get the look you love with new designs. Also, opt for energy-efficiency whenever possible to save money and conserve resources.
Incorporating the island
Most homeowners today want an island with seating. According to a piece by Southern Living, functional kitchen islands combine work space with storage and dining space. Whether you choose a kitchen island with clean, modern lines or one with vintage-inspired materials such as beaded board, think in terms of what's practical. An open kitchen island provides easy access to pots and pans. A moveable island creates a more versatile space for dining or preparing food.
Selecting durable countertops
As part of your kitchen remodel, you need to choose cabinetry as well as countertops. Before ordering granite countertops, think about other options that are just as timeless and practical. Poured concrete countertops are extremely stain resistant and strong. Butcher block has a more casual look but is environmentally friendly. Cork, stainless steel, marble, and non-porous engineered quartz countertops are other options for your kitchen.
At Natelli Homes, we help our Maryland and Virginia clients design a dream kitchen that will endure as different design trends fade over time. We can help you choose the right sink, knobs, pulls, backsplash and lighting for an overall kitchen makeover. For more information about kitchen remodeling and other architectural services, please contact us.
A home remodeling project is a wonderful idea for a homeowner looking to give their home a new look.
We offer our home remodeling services to the surrounding McLean, VA area.
Our McLean, VA home remodeling clients have been thrilled with the work we have completed for them.
Our number one priority is the customer.
We love doing what we do. We thoroughly plan out all the proper steps clearly so the homeowner knows exactly what is going on. Does a home remodeling project interest you? If so, please visit www.natellihomes.com and contact us today.
Offering high quality home remodeling projects to the McLean, VA area!